Our hands are essential for virtually everything! When pain, stiffness, and other uncomfortable symptoms occur, it can make performing even the simplest of tasks difficult and frustrating. At EmergeOrtho, we have an entire team of board-certified experts dedicated to providing Hand Therapy services.
Our highly-skilled physical and occupational therapists utilize precision diagnosis as well as specialized evaluation and treatment to address hand and upper extremity musculoskeletal problems.
Examples of Upper Extremity Conditions
Both injuries and musculoskeletal diseases of the hand and upper extremities are common. One study cited hand and wrist injuries accounted for an estimated 11% to 20% of all emergency room visits in the United States. Additional research demonstrates that 25% of all sports-related injuries center on the hand and wrist.
Examples of injuries and conditions that affect the hand, wrist, and fingers include:
- Carpal Tunnel
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Sprains and Fractures
- Ganglion Cysts
- Finger and Hand Infections
- Problems with the finger, wrist, and hand (joint replacements)
- Tendonitis or Arthritis
- Finger, Hand and Wrist Injuries
- Trigger Finger
- Increasing discomfort in your arm or hand
- Painful fingers, particularly when carrying, gripping, grasping or twisting objects
- Swelling and discomfort
- Any change in the range of motion
- Redness or warmth in the palm, fingers or hand
- Hand numbness, throbbing or tingling when resting
- A grating or grinding sensation in the affected joint
- Cysts on the end finger joints
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Extension Tendon Injuries
- Flexor Tendon Injuries
- Mallet finger
- MP Joint Arthritis
- Nerve Injuries
- Swan Neck Deformity
- Boutonnière Deformity
- Fingertip Injury
- Thumb Arthritis
Different Types of Hand Therapy
Hand therapy is both the art and science of rehabilitating the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder girdle. Our EmergeOrtho Hand and Wrist specialists are licensed health care professionals who participate in frequent continuing education to improve their skills and provide the highest quality of care. They combine the best techniques from both physical and occupational disciplines.
EmergeOrtho Hand Therapy Specialists Address the Following Upper Extremity Issues:
- Crush injuries and other hand trauma
- Tendon and/or ligament tears and other tendon injuries
- Peripheral nerve disorders and other neurological conditions
- Fractures and dislocations
- Sports-related injuries
- Post-traumatic injuries
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Workers’ Compensation injuries
- Acute conditions and strains
Individualized rehabilitation programs consist of:
- Diverse modalities for pain relief
- Supervised exercise programs
- Custom splint fabrication
- Variety of evaluation tools to provide objective information and up-to-date progress results
We strongly emphasize home program participation. Our certified hand therapists work in tandem with our hand surgeons providing excellent hand and upper extremity care in multiple locations across the state.
Committed to Improving the Daily Lives of our Patients
No one should have to live with chronic pain and discomfort. Healthy hands are vital for work, school, and everyday activities. At EmergeOrtho, we are renowned for treating hand, wrist, and upper extremity issues to help each and every patient Emerge Stronger. Healthier. Better.
Schedule a consultation now with one of our highly-qualified EmergeOrtho physicians.