EmergeOrtho has the Experience and Expertise to Effectively Treat Spinal Instability
EmergeOrtho not only offers a multitude of minimally invasive and non-surgical procedures, we have interventional pain specialists and physical therapists dedicated to spine issues. Unlike other practices, your spine specialist will be involved from beginning to end, helping you choose the right course of action.
What is spinal instability?
Spinal instability occurs when there is excessive motion between vertebrae, resulting in pain and discomfort.
What causes spinal instability?
There are several potential causes of spinal instability. The most common are:
- Trauma– fracture of vertebrae and/or damage to the ligaments or structures that bind vertebrae to each other.
- Aging- wear and tear cause parts of the vertebral column to deteriorate (the “cushioning between vertebrae).
- Congenital- spinal defects from birth can lead to spinal instability.
- Pathological – masses (tumors) can expand within the vertebrae and structures connecting the vertebrae to cause spinal instability.
What are the symptoms of spinal instability?
The symptoms of spinal instability include:
- Burning pain and/or spasms in the back or buttocks
- Leg weakness
- Pain, numbness, or tingling in the legs
- Back and/or leg pain that is worse with activity and improves or is eliminated with rest
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact us for an appointment with one of our orthopedists.
How is spinal instability treated?
There are several nonsurgical and surgical treatment options for spinal instability depending upon the condition causing it. These include:
- Physical therapy to strengthen core muscles
- Medications/spinal injections to reduce swelling and inflammation of pinched nerves
- Spinal fusion
The spine is one of the most complicated systems in your body, and therefore, you need to be sure that you’re working with surgeons and orthopedists who have the knowledge and skills to help you. Back, neck and spine pain often dramatically affects your quality of life, so choose a provider known across the state for their expertise, dedication and tradition of providing compassionate care: EmergeOrtho.